FERNANDINA BEACH, FL. Sportsmen are spending millions of dollars on fishing equipment, but which brands are they buying? Southwick Associates surveyed more than 9,000 anglers in 2018 through their online AnglerSurvey.com consumer panel to identify the top brands in the market.
In 2018, some of sportfishing’s most frequently purchased brands include:
- Top combo brand: Shakespeare
- Top fluorocarbon fishing line brand: Seaguar
- Top monofilament fishing line brand: Berkley Trilene
- Top soft bait brand: Zoom
- Top spinner bait brand: Strike King
- Top leader brand: Ande
- Top fly line brand: Scientific Angler (Orvis)
- Top fly brand: Umpqua
- Top fish finder/sonar brand: Humminbird
- Top fishing clothing brand: Columbia
- Top waders/wade boots/chest wader brand: Frogg Toggs
- Top tackle box brand: Plano
- Top bait bucket/aerator brand: Frabill
- Top scale, grip, measuring device brand: Rapala
- Top trolling motor brand: Minn Kota
- Top cooler brand: Coleman
A variety of key fishing products are examined in the Southwick Associates 2018 Fishing Participation and Equipment Purchases Report. This in-depth resource illustrates angler’s participation and shopping behaviors, including the percentage of sales occurring across different retail channels, brand purchased, price paid, and demographics for anglers buying specific products. Additional information tracked includes total days spent per activity, type of fishing, and targeted species.
In addition to the topline report covering angler’s participation and equipment purchases, an annual report on participation and equipment purchases of bass anglers is also available. The bass angler report provides the industry with an in-depth profile, estimated expenditures along with trend insights on the specific market.
Custom, confidential research is also available to help understand brand awareness/perceptions, identify products most desired by consumers, optimal pricing, and more. To purchase a report or discuss custom research, contact Nancy Bacon at Nancy@SouthwickAssociates.com
Southwick Associates is a market research and economics firm, specializing in the hunting, shooting, sportfishing, and outdoor recreation markets. For more than 25 years, Southwick Associates has established a proven record for delivering comprehensive insights and statistics assisting business and strategic decisions across the entire outdoor industry; from government agencies, industry associations and non-profit organizations, to affiliated businesses and manufacturers. Aside from custom market research, Southwick Associates also provides syndicated participation, media consumption and equipment purchase tracking studies utilizing their proprietary sportsmen panels.